I just got a scary lecture from my42 year co-worker about how things 'were different' when she was in high school compared to current times.
"Blacks stayed on their side, we stayed on ours. We had separate lunch rooms and cafeterias. If they crossed over onto our side, Yo, things went DOWN, chairs would fly, tables would fly. We were separated in gym class too."
What I don't get is that there is only 8 years difference between us, and things were NOT like that at my high school. Granted I went to a private school and there were only a handful of black kids in each class, but we never ever had any such racial issues as she described.
The worst part was that after she described how the 2 sides would never intermingle, she said emphatically "We knew better".. that just fucked me up.
1 comment:
Okay - I'm 45 and you know what? We had black kids at our school AND we were not split up for lunch or class or anything because - well - perhaps I lived in civilization? WTF? I think your coworker took an unexpected trip in the Wayback Machine to - let's just say - 1900?
I would suggest a nice chat like:
"Either you're making shit up or you're just plain stupid. Either way, get outta my face, freak."
Post a Comment